Tuesday

First Book


The first book Dan ever gave me to read was "Lessons From Great Lives, Learning to be Rich in All Areas of Your Life!"  He actually co-authored it...go figure! Dan had given this book to his daughter Crystal, my wife, as a gift when it was first published. My initial thoughts were, "I can't wait to see what he wrote inside, I bet it's something quit profound for Crystal to have and cherish throughout life." To my surprise this is all I saw, written in Dan's very own handwriting the following:












                                                        









Translated:
To Crystal                          

enJoy the Journey OF
LiFe!

Saper vedere

Love
Dad
9/10/07

My first thought was, "Say What (translation please)?" My second was "That's it? A nice phrase with some latin words!""Come on Dan, this was your girl you were writing to not some stranger! Why so few words? and what's with the latin?" To make matter worse, I soon discovered that Dan writes this exact same message in everyone's book he signs.

As I calmed down and gathered myself together I began questioning, thinking deeper and wondering...WHY?  What sort of advice/message is Dan trying to portray behind these few words? There has to be a bigger picture, what's the meaning behind these words? As I thought more and more about it this is what i concluded:

Sometimes we may feel ripped off because of how much we don't receive (like I felt for Crystal). We tend to have this notion that more must mean better. Yet, I've come to learn that this isn't always true. Just like more money doesn't guarantee more happiness or a better life, neither do the expensive name brand clothes guarantee better relationships or popularity with peers.

It's not the size of the gift, but the preparation, content, and love that goes into the gift that truly matters. Dan said more in those 7 words than I could try to say this whole blog. Those 7 words are filled with knowledge and wisdom to keep you thinking every day of your life.

Let us start with the first 5 words, "Enjoy the Journey of Life."

Life seems to be full of surprises. We hear time and time again, "life is like a roller coaster, it's full of many ups and downs." It's true isn't it? Life is full of ups and down, however we all seem to want more ups or all ups, and very few if any downs. This is the very antithesis of a roller coasters where we want ALL downs and NO ups.

I'm guilty of wanting more ups in my life. Who isn't? Who wants to experience and go through the down (trials, troubles, afflictions, heartache, misery, death) life throws at you? One thing I have learned over the years and have come to accept is that their must be opposition in all things. Everything has its opposites. How would I ever experience or taste the GOOD if I didn't know the BAD? How would I know the JOYS life has to offer, without experiencing the PAINS? How could I delight in SIGHT/LIGHT, if there were no BLINDNESS/DARKNESS? WHY would I care about my HEALTH, if I never experienced SICKNESS? And  how could I experience SUCCESS if I had no FAILURES.

You see, part of life's journey is experiencing oppositions, both the ups and the downs, the good and the bad, none are exempt from it wrath. So if experiencing opposition is inevitable how should we react when life throws us curve balls here and there? We can start by saying...

I WILL make the best of my current circumstances! I WILL live each day of my life as if it were my last! I WILL hold nothing back! I WILL not let challenges effect my life for the worse rather, I WILL be a fighter, a conqueror over my trials and fears! I WILL have and maintain an attitude of gratitude! I WILL enjoy life's journey everyday whether it be good or bad! I WILL preserver, I will SUCCEED! WHY?
Because I CHOOSE TO!

In response to the question "how are you doing today?" Dan without fail replies with enthusiasm,"I'm havin' the GREATEST DAY of my LIFE!" How cool is that? Should we and could we not all respond in such a way? Of course we can!

The choice is ALWAYS yours! You may not be able to determine your family or environmental conditions, however YOU determine your own reactions, lifestyle, and future/destiny. Your LIFE, your SUCCESSES, your "greatest work", depends solely on you and nobody else!

....To be continued (upcoming blog: Saper Vedere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment