Wednesday

The Gift of Patience




PATIENCE


Patience can be defined as the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties. It is also used to refer to the character trait of being steadfast. 


Christmas is one of those seasons where patience seems to be needed more than ever. Especially with all the chaos that goes on during its season: preparing the house for family and friends to visit, getting the house decorated, making meals, wondering what gifts to buy, keeping within a budget, the streets busy, the malls out of control, and a whole lot more. It's no wonder people go nuts and are such stress cases during this season.


Patience is one of the virtues all of us need to work on, especially myself. I think women are greater possessors of this gift more so than men. A quote I heard long ago says, "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, mostly found in women, never found in man." Sad, I know for all us guys, but I must agree it's mostly true.


I like to think of patience as a state of being that involves a choice, learning how to master self-control over trials that come into ones daily life. Patience is the antidote to many problems faced in the world today; whether it be personal, marital, religious, spiritual, emotional, temporal, or social. All can be solved to some degree through patience.


We can all make the choice when things don't go quite like we planned and CHOOSE to react with PATIENCE. The choice is always ours. We need to say to ourselves:


"Today, and everyday as long as I am breathing I will begin to develop and live my life with patience. I will be slow to anger towards my spouse, family, and friends. I will not let the little things bother me. I will show patience: to the individual who cuts me off while driving, when dishes are left undone, when rooms not cleaned, when someone takes the last chocolate, when all the hot water is gone, and when someone is late. Patience is not acquired overnight, it is like building a muscle, it must be worked everyday. I will learn to master daily small trials, for if I can do this I will be able to conquer even the greatest of trials. And how will I do this? I will make the choice today because I have the power to choose. TODAY I will react to all my trials with patience. "


    Learn the art of patience. Apply discipline to your thoughts when they become anxious over the outcome of a goal. Impatience breeds anxiety, fear, discouragement and failure. Patience creates confidence, decisiveness, and a rational outlook, which eventually leads to success.
                                                               - Brian Adams 


No comments:

Post a Comment